Windows 7 Setup failed

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

Windows 7 Setup failed

Post by JayJay »

Alright, so I used to be a big SoF fan bout 8 years ago but stopped for a long while. I was trying to reinstall the game on my newer computer (Win7, 64bit) and as I run "setup" I get the flash screen where I clikc on the "Install" button.. I then see a little splash screen for "Demo Shield" and nothing else happens.... I go to the Task manager and "setup" is there, but not doing anything... its just zombie. Tried changing compatibility, running the demo32 file directly and then choosing the packed file... nothing. Read somewhere that this was an issue with the Original SoF, and that the Plat Ed didn't have this issue, so I bought the PlatEd... same thing. Ive search around the Net and ppl have had this issue too, but no real answer has been provided. Anyone here knows what I can do to fix this?

Is this 'Community Edition' basically the same game but only runnable?

If I install this on my old computer, then copy the directory here, would that maybe work?

Ty in advance
Reactions: 8

Re: Windows 7 Setup failed

Post by ShocK »

Take a look here http://sof1.megalag.org/windows7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

Had the same thing. Flollow the link shock pasterd here. If you are not familiair with the sof directories and such, I made a small tutorial made after experiencing the same issue (says windows 8, but it's the same for windows 7):

http://www.sof1.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What really suprised me though, is that SoF Platinum is still for sale :lol:

Post by JayJay »

Ty for the response, I saw both links before... problem is.. not even by running as admin will the game even install.

I managed to get it done... sort of.
What I did was install the game on another computer that had Win XP. The copy the SoF directory to a pen drive, copy it here and then following the instructions on those links. Game runs perfectly, BUT... the Violence Lock is defaulted ON and when I try to turn it OFF, it asks for a Password. The game was installed on my laptop with the Violence Lock OFF. My guess is the installation creates some sort of registry code to reflect that, which I don't have here.

As for the original error? I have no idea why the setup would hang. Ive seen a lot of ppl with that issue, some got it fixed certain ways, others got it fixed differently, others would give up. Im surprised nobody has done a universal installer.
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

There's a portable version of SoF around somewhere. Can't find the link to it though. Perhaps shock has it?

Post by Persian »

installing sofplus will disable the violence lock if i remember correctly.

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

Persian wrote:installing sofplus will disable the violence lock if i remember correctly.
Correct, install SoFplus client to remove the violence lock
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the client is at the bottom , simply extract everything to your sof1 directory