Can I host SOF1 and let friends to connect & play with me?

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

Can I host SOF1 and let friends to connect & play with me?

Post by shardana »

Hi everybody and thanks to exist!! really!

I used SOF1 in 2000 with friends and bothers . we played all together in a LAn network I had in my office.

Now in this corona time our toughs came back to that beautyfull days of our life... and we'd like (me and my brothers and some friend) to play together again to kill each other in a joyfull carnage!! ehehehhe

Is it still possible to do using internet instead of LAN ?

I'd like to host the game in my house (I have a fast internet access 800Mb download / 500 Mb upload) so my brothers can connect to me... is it possible ? what do I have to do ?

Please help us to survive to this cursed times!! any advice is welcome!

Kindest Regards
Gianluca Sanna
Reactions: 2

Re: Can I host SOF1 and let friends to connect & play with m

Post by Sauron »

What is stopping you from using the ones available.
http://sof1.megalag.org/server/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you still want to setup server here is some info
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by shardana »

Sauron wrote:What is stopping you from using the ones available.
http://sof1.megalag.org/server/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you still want to setup server here is some info
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dear SaurON, thanks for your kind and fast reply...
I absolutely like to use the existing server but I supposed those servers do not allow me to :

1) - do "private" playing sessions (only me and my family / friends)
2) - choose the map to use in the game

Am I wrong ? I'm a newbe and if points 1) and 2) can be done with existing server could you please tell me how ?

I tried to connect to a server with my brother two days ago.. but we found always the same map in each game.. and also another guy connected after us. It's a very fun to play also with other people other than my family and we surely choose also this option (we like competiion), but we'd like also to do sessions of gameplay only me and family and choose the map (from the original ones).

I really REALLY appreciate your help... if there is any donation/support paypal I will be happy to support this forum!

Kindest Regards,
Gianluca Sanna
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

You can use the "Free Server Mode - DM (unclaimed)"

Get on the server and follow the instructions how to claim it, select game mode, weapons, maps and you can set a password so just you and friends can join.

https://sof1.megalag.org/free-server/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most other servers have "VOTE" feature thanks to the SoFplus, you can vote for map changes and more depending on how the server is setup.

Post by shardana »

Trekker wrote:You can use the "Free Server Mode - DM (unclaimed)"

Get on the server and follow the instructions how to claim it, select game mode, weapons, maps and you can set a password so just you and friends can join.

https://sof1.megalag.org/free-server/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most other servers have "VOTE" feature thanks to the SoFplus, you can vote for map changes and more depending on how the server is setup.
Dear Trekker, thanks a lot for your suggestion! it's a good "second choice" compared to what I want to do... We surely start using yor "fast" solution at the moment... Please could you explain me how to choose the map ? Do I have to type also the map name with it's path ?

With this "free server mode" unclaimed we have these CONS :

1) server should be "available" to be claimed at the moment when we all have spare time to play...
2) server ping/lag could be a problem...for some of us..

Actually we all are in the same country and I have a 830/300mbit dedicated line and I think it can be more performing for all my brothers and friends to connect to me (lower ping, less lag)... is it correct ?

Can anyone explain me how to create/host a server ? I installed SofPlus... and I watched all the menus... but I do not find where to setup a broadcast server...wich is visible in the internet.. I can only host in lan...

I corretly installed "SoFplus - dedicated server version" , I edited the CFG files as requested, but when I run the batch file and the server starts it's just a "local" server...

Looking forward for your kind replies...

Thanks in advance for your time...

Kindest Regards
Gianluca Sanna

Post by Trekker »

Maps are usually loaded automatically based on your "maplistfile" at the end of the time or frag limit.

To call up a map at any time you just use:

map dm/nycdm1 <== from the Server's Console

or:

rcon map dm/nycdm1 <=== from any other client's console that is connected to the server.

The Free Server is almost always available, but if you want that "privilege", your own dedicated server would be best.

Question:
Will the server be a different computer or will you be hosting and playing on the same computer?

You are in Italy and the Free Server is hosted from France on a fast dedicated server with high bandwidth up and down. Latency/ lag should not be an issue.

You are almost there with your server.

You need to forward the ports used by SoF on your router.
For one server, you want to forward ports 28910 to 28911

Here is a link that you might find helpful:

https://portforward.com/router.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps it would be easier if you come in to a server and chat in real time.

I am the player who came in to that server before you and your friend left :) look for "chin"

Or post here when and if you want to hop on a server and hopefully I see it in time.
Last edited by Trekker on 06 Apr 2020, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

shardana wrote: I corretly installed "SoFplus - dedicated server version" , I edited the CFG files as requested, but when I run the batch file and the server starts it's just a "local" server...  
Do the port forward thing Trekker/Chin is talking about and go to http://sof1.megalag.org/server/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sofserverconsole.PNG
sofserverconsole.PNG (4.92 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Right side of the website on the bottom: "Add your server to the list"
IP address:
GameSpy port:

also might want to check "set public "1" // Register with the gamespy and SoFplus master server"

Post by shardana »

Dear Sauron and Trekker,
Thank you SOOOO MUCH for your precious advices! I did some mistakes becouse i natted wrongs ports in router, but now I used 28910-28911 and it worked...

I still need to be able to manage maps and using server commands (I never did such things before... I only played in LAN)

Sure we'll meet next days together with you in the game... (consider that we are not playing for more than 15 years!)

Is there any way to contribute to this community by paypal ?

You are great! and I will periodically bother you again in this forum when I face problems using server commands... or for other advices---

Kindest Regards,
Mr Gianluca Sanna

Post by Trekker »

You can contribute by joining other servers or allowing other players to join your server sometimes.

SoF has been quiet the past few years, so, more the merrier.

Only other accepted payment is blood which we collect in the servers, so you do have to join one on a weekly basis

Enjoy your server and stay safe.

Post by shardana »

Trekker wrote:You can contribute by joining other servers or allowing other players to join your server sometimes.

SoF has been quiet the past few years, so, more the merrier.

Only other accepted payment is blood which we collect in the servers, so you do have to join one on a weekly basis

Enjoy your server and stay safe.

We will surely do it! we'll offer blood to satisfy the anger of your severs...(and ours) :)
and we also invite you to our server...