6.2 Installer Not Working?

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

6.2 Installer Not Working?

Post by Crusader25 »

Hey folks, I just tried installing SoF CE 6.2 but it doesn't seem to work properly. It will install a few files and folders but ultimately most of them are missing including no executable file.

I downloaded 6.1 from a different site and that installs and runs perfectly. Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Reactions: 15

Re: 6.2 Installer Not Working?

Post by Acadie »

You can keep the 6.1 if it works well. It's no big deal.
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

Code: Select all

Changes in v6.2:
- Upgraded basicpack2015 to basicpack2015v2
- Updated standard installpath to fix sof media issues (demos/screenshots in wrong folder)
- Updated sound files for multiple gameservers to reduce download time 
- SoF-CE Setup supports now multi-language 
- Removed Program Menu shortcuts (no longer necessary in Windows 10)
yeah ya good.

Post by Crusader25 »

Alright I'll stick to it for now then. While I'm at it, I'd like to ask if anyone else is getting a sound problem in the 5th level (Siberia) like I am, where gun sounds will mostly cease to function properly. They are totally silent, all you hear is the impact of bullets in the environment. Playing at 11khz seems to be the only way to get them working again, but that of course sounds awful. Up to this point I had been playing at 22khz without issues.

I'm also wondering jf it's worth dusting off an old Creative sound card I have sitting around and trying to get EAX working with it.

Post by Sauron »

http://www.sof1.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3680&p=43558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by Crusader25 »

I read that thread already just out of curiosity before I even started playing the game. It discusses a different topic and is unrelated to what I was experiencing. During initial configuration I found that 44khz audio caused voices to crackle and 48khz caused everything to crackle, so I just set it to 22khz and everything worked just fine, up until Siberia. I've since beaten the level, the missing gun sounds were mainly only in the first section of the level and cleared up as I moved along, and aren't happening anymore after that level.

I also managed to get EAX audio working without using a sound card, the positional audio it provides is FANTASTIC and the reverb is cool too but not as impressive.

Post by Sauron »

Crusader25 wrote: I also managed to get EAX audio working without using a sound card, the positional audio it provides is FANTASTIC and the reverb is cool too but not as impressive.
Please elaborate how.

Post by Crusader25 »

Sauron wrote:
Crusader25 wrote: I also managed to get EAX audio working without using a sound card, the positional audio it provides is FANTASTIC and the reverb is cool too but not as impressive.
Please elaborate how.
It works via a combination of installing OpenAL 2.1.0.0, EAX Unified 4.0.0.1, and ALchemy 1.45.03 Universal.

The first two can be found here:
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/10-openal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files ... x-unified/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for ALchemy, Creative Labs offers the software for free, but it will check to see if you have one of their cards physically installed. If you want to use it without installing one of their cards, you have to crack their software. I don't know how this is done, but I obtained it from someone who did know how, and I'm not sure if posting it on this forum would be against the rules or not. Since I do own two Sound Blasters I could just plug one in and be completely legit, but I don't feel like installing hardware that I don't actually need (or want).