Sof 1 CE on Ubuntu/Wine?

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

Re: Sof 1 CE on Ubuntu/Wine?

Post by megalanya »

ZXProto wrote:

Code: Select all

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-78-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
That is a software renderer. Somehow Q3 accepts it but Q2 rejects it. People say it's pretty quick, so I don't blame you if you couldn't tell the difference.
https://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sorry, but I don't know how it ended there or how to fix it. You can try asking in Linux forums about your card and how to change Gallium for an OpenGL renderer. As I said before, normally video drivers take care of that.

In any case, I'm curious about how Steam handles this. I'd like you to try one last thing: delete (if exists) config.cfg from the User directory inside SoF, then run the following in the SoF directory:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32:~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:. wine SoF.exe
Let's see if the game loads using the libraries from Steam.
I could not find a file “config.cfg”. Outputs:

fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.4 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 80: saw unknown, expected number
recursive shutdown
Unfortunately, it didn't work. However, thank you very much for your help.
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

Honestly I don't know much about Ubuntu/Wine.
But Ctrl(3klnk4jh on forum) does and has this page sof1.megalag.org/wine/ which has this patch.
The easiest fix is to patch the ref_gl.dll file in your SoF directory (download pre-patched ref_gl.dll). This patch disables the print statement that results in the buffer overflow:

$ echo "909090909090" | xxd -r -p -seek 0x000f772 - ref_gl.dll
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/ref_gl_fixed.zip

Post by megalanya »

Sauron wrote:Honestly I don't know much about Ubuntu/Wine.
But Ctrl(3klnk4jh on forum) does and has this page sof1.megalag.org/wine/ which has this patch.
The easiest fix is to patch the ref_gl.dll file in your SoF directory (download pre-patched ref_gl.dll). This patch disables the print statement that results in the buffer overflow:

$ echo "909090909090" | xxd -r -p -seek 0x000f772 - ref_gl.dll
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/ref_gl_fixed.zip
Yes, I already tried it. Unfortunately, it does not work. This fix must have already been made in Community Edition.

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

wine 'wrapper' for sof1 here with sofplus + fixes : *and sof2
User adamhm
I've put together a Wine wrapper for Soldier of Fortune and Soldier of Fortune 2, allowing them to be played on Linux almost like a native game & with no Wine knowledge required.
https://www.gog.com/forum/soldier_of_fo ... inux/page1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a huge list of other 'wrappers' if anyone was interested
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/adamh ... sion/page1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

For what is worth, WINE 4.0.3 which was the latest when I installed UBUNTU Server 18.04.5 LTS (including current updates) has been running my servers since early 2020.

Most guides recommend older version which I like to get more info on.

Only issue is that it will not update, not allowing me to "easily" upgrade to 20.04.
Haven't tried "manual update" bellow is from "sudo apt update/ upgrade"

Not using Canonical Livepatch. Will paste info just to keep.
4 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

wine-stable/bionic 5.0.3~bionic amd64 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]
wine-stable-amd64/bionic 5.0.3~bionic amd64 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]
wine-stable-i386/bionic 5.0.3~bionic i386 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]
winehq-stable/bionic 5.0.3~bionic amd64 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]

The following packages have been kept back:
wine-stable winehq-stable
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Post by megalanya »

31 January 2021 update: Just solved. :mrgreen:

Intel HD Graphics (integrated graphics processors technology of Intel processors) causes this problem.

I´m just disable integrated graphics from BIOS and solves this problem.

And unfortunately yes. After several years and my English still is too bad. :dry:

Post by Trekker »

Got to give it to you ... 4 years and still going :clap:

Post by 3klnk4jh »

Trekker wrote:For what is worth, WINE 4.0.3 which was the latest when I installed UBUNTU Server 18.04.5 LTS (including current updates) has been running my servers since early 2020.

Most guides recommend older version which I like to get more info on.

Only issue is that it will not update, not allowing me to "easily" upgrade to 20.04.
Haven't tried "manual update" bellow is from "sudo apt update/ upgrade"

Not using Canonical Livepatch. Will paste info just to keep.
4 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

wine-stable/bionic 5.0.3~bionic amd64 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]
wine-stable-amd64/bionic 5.0.3~bionic amd64 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]
wine-stable-i386/bionic 5.0.3~bionic i386 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]
winehq-stable/bionic 5.0.3~bionic amd64 [upgradable from: 4.0.3~bionic]

The following packages have been kept back:
 wine-stable winehq-stable
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
On Debian, you can usually make it install with 'apt full-upgrade' (or 'apt dist-upgrade', which is the same). Ubuntu should be similar. Check what apt plans to do before you press Y to continue. Especially on Debian testing/unstable, sometimes apt can decide to uninstall like 50% of your packages so you'll end up with a broken system which takes some effort to repair. It would be wise to press N then.

Post by Trekker »

@3klnk4jh, thanks.

Not worried about this, all is running well.
Most I read recommend older WINE releases!

I am waiting for them to have the server I want available then I'd be trying Debian.
Might have to give up and order an identical server which is available.

I have the KS-10, wanted to go to KS-11, may be even "downgrade" to KS-9 or KS-7.

Right now there are error messages (not causing any issues) with snap and WINE, will post terdump.
Spoiler:
I have been ignoring this but can fix snap and possibly upgrade too. Going to get another server, set it up then try few things on the old server before returning it.

4 SoF Servers
single seedbox currently under 50 torrents, max I ever seed be around 200.
might start hosting my old simple website ... hmmm

Should not need a lot of power for the above, downgrade is looking better as I type ... more money towards the beer fund.
Reactions: 8

Post by d3nd3 »

check out sof on linux if you're interested
https://www.sof1.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;