Equal ping for everyone

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 6

Re: SOF server on LINUX

Post by Fuckemup »

Nijogeth wrote:
dmd wrote:This equal ping for all patch sounds interesting. How could this be done exactly? How can you manipulate the amount of milliseconds of a player in the server to be equal of the player with the highest ping in the server Ctrl?
That would mean that everyone constantly gets my lagg spikes when i am on wifi. Sounds fun.
Not really Nijo, as pings get choosen after the highest ping in the server. (your pretty low, times to times)
So if we play with Bred everyone would be pinging 70-80, sounds like a challange for everyone.

Keep up the good job CTRL, your the godfather of sof!!!
Reactions: 14

Post by Evil4N »

Fossil wrote: Make everyone play on a 100 ping.

Won't work out. The guy with a "natural" 100 ping will have a advantage against the "forced" 100 ping.

Anyway won't bother to talk more about this matter. As it will be another 2 years before it will be released anwyay, lmao.
Last edited by Evil4N on 11 Apr 2015, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reactions: 4

Post by Nijogeth »

I meant, that often my ping goes to 300+ when im on wifi. The others would have that aswell. Seems fun to do that.

Post by Evil4N »

Tekken 6 also had this "equal ping" feature. What happened was a input delay for the low-pingers. LMFAO
dmd
Netherlands
Reactions: 1

Post by dmd »

Nijogeth wrote:I meant, that often my ping goes to 300+ when im on wifi. The others would have that aswell. Seems fun to do that.
I don't think this patch will mimic your exact connection but it will just put a standard ping or a ping based on the player with the highest ping. And if this patch ever get released I don't think it is going to be forced on every server because that would be total Marxism. It should be a function you can turn on and turn off with an easy command.
Reactions: 0

Post by maker »

MinatO wrote:You should try my GER servers. Had Jarek, Maker and Shark test it and Jarek has like 36 ping, Maker about 40-45 whereas in NL servers they ping 20 more.
uhh I always have around 43-45 on those germans and 65 on nl/fra servers, there's a big difference in shooting lag between 40 and 60 ping so the performances look like it looks so.. recently Bred put a polish server where I have 36 ping, Jarek has 20. He told us that he has never seen something like that, bullets shot like before he pull the trigger. Poles always have delays between trigger->body.

Also I'd like to mention that I don't believe you guys wanting "fair game" because I often see you crying for 25 ping and not 15 which is pathetic as I don't cry having 60 not 40. Though it's big difference.

The only good NL server I remember was from i3d.net. Had 42 ping there, while on past germans 60+
Reactions: 5

Re: Equal ping for everyone

Post by Trekker »

This will be abused same as everything else in this community. There would be a need for maxfps lock enforced to stop players changing their ping just to be "funny" for one thing.

We have faith in ctrl tho, most probably he is going to take an avg of pings and apply that to all regardless of variations.

I don't like the idea,

If you "win" using anything that gives you unfair advantage over your opponent, the cloud you are riding on will dissipate slowly and painfully.

You can fool everyone the World over but can never fool yourself, go ahead, try to lie to yourself!

Even the game-play, main reason many DM, CTB and lone rangers never bothered with CTF seriously and left, else, we would have been a larger community and some of you are trying to bring more new players to ridicule and make them run away!
Every weekend about a dozen or two and sometimes, more of us get together for LAN Parties and Texas Holdem, SoF, RTCW and some teams other games. Main reason I do some mods from time to time as per request ... not for here.

When we played, we never camped, never took health armor from enemy's base unless we HAD to, never shot players spawning and allowed them to grab at least a weapon if not armor too, if our team has the flag, we leave the enemy's base.

You actually decide which armor or health to camp and call it strategy ... and most likely don't even have patience to play chess (I hate chess)

It will always be something till the time everyone learns to respect themselves and start respecting others ... I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

I can count the number of players I have kicked using my fingers and toes; The number of issued bans, using one hand that's running servers since 2000 Off and On and my servers were nearly full 24/ 7.

We are only as good as our choice of hardware, how we set it up and ... yes, ping, latency and jitters matter may be ... but we re-spawn, thank God for that.

Post by Evil4N »

Nicely spoken Trekker. Something Jr can learn from.

Post by maker »

wow, well said Trekker. I remember that on old DM all people let everyone take a shotgun first before they shoot each other.
dmd
Netherlands

Post by dmd »

Yea in DM when someone without shotgun got fragged, he said "shotty plz" And the fragger apologized by saying "soz"
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

maker wrote:wow, well said Trekker. I remember that on old DM all people let everyone take a shotgun first before they shoot each other.
or "Looking down means player is typing" aka "plz don't shoot me."

Post by maker »

dmd wrote:Yea in DM when someone without shotgun got fragged, he said "shotty plz" And the fragger apologized by saying "soz"
true story

anyway guys check ur ping on POLAND SERVER cuz as I've seen ppl having 20 pings on NL have 40 there and we poles have ~35-40 aswell. Jarek has 20 though.
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

That too Sauron but I ran an Assassin server and had only 2 dmflags set (force respawn, bullet only)

In assassin if your "target" don't respawn or if you wait for players to text (for long period of time) you'd be running around with no target.

So we all agreed in case of Assassin ... you snooze, you loose ;)

Post by butcha »

Fossil wrote:SoF is a heavy ping game its not even funny. Poor bitches like Wolfgang playing with that 80+ ping for 10 years.

Heck i even noticed it last time we played in 2011. There were servers where i had a 50/55 ping and other servers my normal 35 ping. Difference was huge (Talking about 20-25 kill difference). That short term in [HA] when i had a 20 ping and we played a bunch of 2v2's against Fluxy and whoever else. Game was piss easy.

Make everyone play on a 100 ping.
yea i noticed that too the short time that swedish server was up and i 12 ping lol, when you got 20-40 frags more than emirate.. well games got boring if i put it that way.

:ninja:

Post by Evil4N »

I agree, my ping used to be 9 ping but since its 12 ping people are able to frag me atleast once, pathetic tbh.

Post by 3klnk4jh »

The ping equalizer will never be released. Most of the work is done by Linux netem, so it won't work on Windows.

I won't write an essay about how it works, but abuse and lag spikes should be handled correctly by the algorithm: The target ping for all players will be the highest of the lowest recorded pings of each player, or if that is higher than a configured maximum, that maximum ping will be used instead. So pings of spectators are ignored and if player gets a lag spike, the higher ping during that lag spike will also be ignored.

Post by 3klnk4jh »

Evil4N wrote:About fixes, like every Fr or Belgian player is getting the keyboard language bug as soon as they install and start the newest sofplus.
I've not received any reports about this. I can't fix bugs that I don't know about. So if you spot a bug, send me an email at sof1@megalag.org

I read about one keyboard issue on this forum, but I don't think it's caused by SoFplus. Test without SoFplus by restoring the original SoF.exe and removing the base/sofplus-fonts.pak, base/sofplus-optional.pak and base/sofplus.pak files.

Post by Evil4N »

3klnk4jh wrote:The ping equalizer will never be released.
So that's the end. Where were you when the fallen oldskoolers tried to push the ping equalizer :acad:
Reactions: 6

Post by Fuckemup »

3klnk4jh wrote:The ping equalizer will never be released. Most of the work is done by Linux netem, so it won't work on Windows.

I won't write an essay about how it works, but abuse and lag spikes should be handled correctly by the algorithm: The target ping for all players will be the highest of the lowest recorded pings of each player, or if that is higher than a configured maximum, that maximum ping will be used instead. So pings of spectators are ignored and if player gets a lag spike, the higher ping during that lag spike will also be ignored.
Thats bad news man, 98 % of sof looked forward to this patch/mod even some who didn't have the game installed anymore.. Its a pity. (only Evilan,Trekker,Emirate,Huso Not)

Isn't it possible to get it working on windows Ctrl?
If possible, im sure many here would like to help you out - atleast I can, without taking any credits.. but on other hand, im a complete newb when it comes to computers and programming but tell me what to do, ill try =D

Let me be your Test-Rabbit, please CTRL :dntknw: :biggrin:
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

To be honest...i notice very little difference between my 15 ping from 1,5 week ago and the 35/40 I have now and had before some years back. As long as your net is stable (this might be the biggest problem for the pl players among us) and you don't ping more than 40 higher than your opponent you're good to go. Anything below might cause a slight disadvantage around corners but let's be honest, 40ms on a 1500 ms reaction ain't that spectaculair. It might be the difference between 50 or 55 frags, but ping won't win you a match, let's not make it bigger than it is...