@ Ctrl, fov change

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

@ Ctrl, fov change

Post by smokestaH »

Wrote ctrl in the title so he checks it out.

Anyway to increase fov? Playing on 1920x1080 is really zoomed in. On 1080 the fov should be further back.
Reactions: 16

Re: @ Ctrl, fov change

Post by Keifer »

http://sof1.megalag.org/widescreen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by smokestaH »

I'm thinking about changing FOV, but it's not easy to come up with something that's fair for players with 4:3 and 16:10 displays. Using a FOV of 100 for 16:10 displays results in the same amount of information on the screen as a FOV of 95 on a 4:3 display, but it probably gives the players with the 16:10 display an advantage, because information on the left/right is more important than on the top/bottom.

Almost every other game with widescreen support keeps the vertical FOV locked, which means that the horizontal FOV changes with different aspect ratios. For SoF this would mean that players on 16:10 displays would get a horizontal FOV of 105.
U cant make it fair for both tbh, widescreen has an advantage, that is normal. It is the same in CS:S (or any other fps), u simply see more with a widescreen monitor. Its a ridiculous resolution but just an example: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4103 ... 000ty4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I play on 1920x1080 in SoF, it is kinda zoomed in and fucked up but i got used to it, but talking about it yesterday with HippY i thought i'd check for a fix. Just for info, 1080 = 16:9.

I'd say fov 110 to 125 would be good.

Post by 3klnk4jh »

When I wrote that FOV story, I was still using my 4:3 CRT. It eventually died and I'm now stuck with a new display that has an annoying 16:9 aspect ratio, because the good old 4:3 aspect ratio isn't available anymore. Thanks to the retards who don't want black bars on their screen when watching movies.

Anyway. The development version of the SoFplus client already has a FOV patch which is about 90% complete (a sound issue and a FOV issue with sniper scope have to be resolved). Since I'm also using weird aspect ratio's now, I'm less opposed to increasing the horizontal FOV. I'd go for these horizontal FOV settings:
  • 4:3 -> 95
  • 8:5 -> 105
  • 16:9 -> 110
That way, the vertical FOV will be the same for all those aspect ratio's. Other games do the same.

If nobody has major objections, the next SoFplus client will have those settings. The mentioned FOV values are the maximum settings. Players will be able to reduce it all the way back to 95.

Post by Keifer »

hooray.

Post by smokestaH »

3klnk4jh wrote:When I wrote that FOV story, I was still using my 4:3 CRT. It eventually died and I'm now stuck with a new display that has an annoying 16:9 aspect ratio, because the good old 4:3 aspect ratio isn't available anymore. Thanks to the retards who don't want black bars on their screen when watching movies.

Anyway. The development version of the SoFplus client already has a FOV patch which is about 90% complete (a sound issue and a FOV issue with sniper scope have to be resolved). Since I'm also using weird aspect ratio's now, I'm less opposed to increasing the horizontal FOV. I'd go for these horizontal FOV settings:
  • 4:3 -> 95
  • 8:5 -> 105
  • 16:9 -> 110
That way, the vertical FOV will be the same for all those aspect ratio's. Other games do the same.

If nobody has major objections, the next SoFplus client will have those settings. The mentioned FOV values are the maximum settings. Players will be able to reduce it all the way back to 95.
Sounds good :happy:

Post by 3klnk4jh »

This is what it looks like: http://sof1.megalag.org/widescreen/sofp ... screen.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Player names and team icons aren't positioned correctly with high FOV values. That can't / won't be fixed without access to the SoF1 sourcecode. You'll have to get used to it.

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

I think the fov fixes look fair!
Reactions: 6

Post by Fuckemup »

Anyone know how to fix my screen?
Im used to play all years on 640x480 (still do).
But it wont let me go 100% fullscreen, gives me 4-5 cm black bars on left and right side wich is pretty pretty anoying.... installed the fullscreen fix, and it removes this BS in one resolution ONLY wich is 1300x(something) same res. as my desktop.. and this gives me like 50 fps, and not playable at all.

//edit. Forgot why i did post in this topic :mrgreen: :
Also tried to mess around with the FOV, but it seems it has nothing to do with that.

Cheers.

Post by smokestaH »

3klnk4jh wrote:This is what it looks like: http://sof1.megalag.org/widescreen/sofp ... screen.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Player names and team icons aren't positioned correctly with high FOV values. That can't / won't be fixed without access to the SoF1 sourcecode. You'll have to get used to it.
So how can i change the fov?
Reactions: 1

Post by MinatO »

Try this command:

_sp_cl_vid_fov 95
Reactions: 8

Post by ShocK »

Wouldn't this do it
User/config.cfg
set fov "??"

Post by smokestaH »

oh, thought he had to update sofplus.

Will check it out

unknown command _sp_cl_vid_fov 95

But isnt 95 too low anyway? wasnt 110 the best?

Post by 3klnk4jh »

smokestaH wrote:oh, thought he had to update sofplus.

Will check it out

unknown command _sp_cl_vid_fov 95
It's in the new, unreleased, SoFplus client. The code is done. The menus still need some work and I'd like to include german and french translations this time. It may take a few months before it's released.
smokestaH wrote:But isnt 95 too low anyway? wasnt 110 the best?
Until now, you've always played with horizontal FOV 95. What's best depends on the aspect ratio of your display. I've made '_sp_cl_vid_fov 1' the default, which keeps the vertical FOV locked at 79. The horizontal FOV will then be 95 on 4:3, 105 on 8:5 (16:10) and 111 on 16:9.

Post by smokestaH »

aight, cool.

No way to release a sofplus with just the fov fix untill u are done with the rest? Or just a fov fix?

Post by 3klnk4jh »

smokestaH wrote:aight, cool.

No way to release a sofplus with just the fov fix untill u are done with the rest? Or just a fov fix?
Send me a PM with your creditcard details and I'll see what can be done ;-)
Reactions: 6

Post by Fuckemup »

Fuckemup wrote:Anyone know how to fix my screen?
Im used to play all years on 640x480 (still do).
But it wont let me go 100% fullscreen, gives me 4-5 cm black bars on left and right side wich is pretty pretty anoying.... installed the fullscreen fix, and it removes this BS in one resolution ONLY wich is 1300x(something) same res. as my desktop.. and this gives me like 50 fps, and not playable at all.

//edit. Forgot why i did post in this topic  :mrgreen: :
Also tried to mess around with the FOV, but it seems it has nothing to do with that.

Cheers.

BUUUUUUMP

Post by Keifer »

I only noticed that like a couple of days ago.
but it was prior to an Nvidea Beta Update.
Maybe change your GPU drivers to something older and you will not have this problem.