Help with MAPPING requested

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Emirate
Reactions: 9

Help with MAPPING requested

Post by Emirate »

Hello !

So I recently began to explore Quark since sof could use some 2o2/3o3 maps and I got the building/texture part quite right by now. There are just some problems that occured while building my map, and I hope you guys can help me with this.

1. Delayed jumpingsound
When I jump in the map, the sound you usually hear when you start your jump will be played when I land.

I had this in my testmap as well, turned out there was a hole in the map. When I got rid of the hole the sound was right again. This time I am sure I've got no holes (Quark can't find them atleast...) but the problem is still there. Any solution? :(

2. No sound with func_door.
So I've put this door into the map which works like a charm (with the trigger thing and stuff). Only one thing: It doesn't make a sound. I'd like to add a sound like the one you hear when the doors in irqctf1 are opened. Tried some things but haven't found a solution yet. Any ideas?

3. Sound of steps on different textures
So i've got multiple textures in the map; bricks, metal, sand and wood. Now my footsteps sound the same on each texture and I'd like the sounds to be different (like you really walk on different materials). I have no clue how to do this, pls help :mrgreen:

4. Barberwire
So i've got a little piece of barberwire in the map. How do I make this hurt players who walk/jump against it? At the moment I can jump on it without getting hurt. Kinda useless barberwire that way...So any ways to make this barberwire hurt like hell?

I'm a beginner in the mappingscene and there are not a lot of usefull tutorials out there (there is that site from nottmotto(?) but I couldn't really find what i'm looking for out there). Soooo...I kinda hope there's someone out here who can help me solve these problems.

Thx in advance
Glory is temporary, pride is forever.

[EF]Emirate
MinatO
Reactions: 1

Re: Help with MAPPING requested

Post by MinatO »

Seems like the SOF Mapping scene these days have more activity than the usual playing scene :p.
Keifer Great Britain
Reactions: 16

Post by Keifer »

If you can find original urls look on the waybackmachine - each of which you can google and find old content to a certain extent, i sadly had all the contact details and once had him on facebook but if you can find his name i'll look lol.

I dont know how i lost him, its a guy with an afro, not hard to miss tbh lol.

Any crucial mapping details you find can you please save, book marks, screenshots and such and send them on to me.
I'd like to submit it to CTRL's website, it would be a final piece of the puzzle to get that site of resources complete.

Retiring the community is next im sure lol
Unless we see another SoF hacks blog.
Denial
Reactions: 0

Post by Denial »

good to see you making new maps to play vs BOTS emirate, keep it up :D .. HI BTW
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

@keifer: I found some info on sofmapping.proboards.com, a site from notmoto. Not the things I was looking for though. But the basics are there (included 2 simple tutorial vids).

@denial: Hi. Fuck you. How's life?

[EF]Emirate
Hayo

Post by Hayo »

Emirate wrote:Hello !

So I recently began to explore Quark since sof could use some 2o2/3o3 maps and I got the building/texture part quite right by now. There are just some problems that occured while building my map, and I hope you guys can help me with this.

1. Delayed jumpingsound
When I jump in the map, the sound you usually hear when you start your jump will be played when I land.

I had this in my testmap as well, turned out there was a hole in the map. When I got rid of the hole the sound was right again. This time I am sure I've got no holes (Quark can't find them atleast...) but the problem is still there. Any solution?  :(

So I've put this door into the map which works like a charm (with the trigger thing and stuff). Only one thing: It doesn't make a sound. I'd like to add a sound like the one you hear when the doors in irqctf1 are opened. Tried some things but haven't found a solution yet. Any ideas?

So i've got multiple textures in the map; bricks, metal, sand and wood. Now my footsteps sound the same on each texture and I'd like the sounds to be different (like you really walk on different materials). I have no clue how to do this, pls help  :mrgreen:

4. Barberwire
So i've got a little piece of barberwire in the map. How do I make this hurt players who walk/jump against it? At the moment I can jump on it without getting hurt. Kinda useless barberwire that way...So any ways to make this barberwire hurt like hell?

I'm a beginner in the mappingscene and there are not a lot of usefull tutorials out there (there is that site from nottmotto(?) but I couldn't really find what i'm looking for out there). Soooo...I kinda hope there's someone out here who can help me solve these problems.

Thx in advance

1. Probably a hole, try making an extra square around your map to make sure its closed.

2. No idea, never used any doors. Easiest way to solve is copy paste it from another map.

3. Not sure if that's possible, but good idea.

4. I think I know how this works but no idea how to explain. When you click on a texture you can click on a colored square which gives you a bunch of options. Such as "ladder' to make it climbable. I think it should be in there somewhere.

I'll explain some basics on TS sometime, I think I'll be on upcoming sunday evening.
https://www.jaofnee.nl/
In minder dan 1 minuut donor worden.
Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

Hayo wrote:
Emirate wrote:Hello !

1. Delayed jumpingsound

I had this in my testmap as well, turned out there was a hole in the map. When I got rid of the hole the sound was right again. This time I am sure I've got no holes (Quark can't find them atleast...) but the problem is still there. Any solution?  :(

So i've got multiple textures in the map; bricks, metal, sand and wood. Now my footsteps sound the same on each texture and I'd like the sounds to be different (like you really walk on different materials). I have no clue how to do this, pls help  :mrgreen:

4. Barberwire

Thx in advance

1. Probably a hole, try making an extra square around your map to make sure its closed.

2. No idea, never used any doors. Easiest way to solve is copy paste it from another map.

4. I think I know how this works but no idea how to explain. When you click on a texture you can click on a colored square which gives you a bunch of options. Such as "ladder' to make it climbable. I think it should be in there somewhere.

I'll explain some basics on TS sometime, I think I'll be on upcoming sunday evening.
About 4: You should copypaste your wire at the same position and make it as trigger_hurt.
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

Hayo wrote: 1. Probably a hole, try making an extra square around your map to make sure its closed.

1. So even when quark can't find any holes, it may still contain a hole? thefuq :p

2. Thought I couldn't edit already built maps, but apparantly I can. I don't have any .bsp mapfiles which contain a door that has to be triggered tho...guess i'll have to look for one. Thanks for the tip.

3. I'm pretty sure it's possible since different materials produce different sounds in sof. As well in the original sofmaps (try irqctf1, running on the sand and runing inside the base or the upper 2 nades) as some custom maps (gic, where walking on the containers makes a different sound than walking on the concrete floor) I just have no f*cking clue how to set different sounds to particular textures/brushes. But apparantly neither have you. Perhaps it's possible to copy that from other maps as well.

4. I was already afraid you'd say that... Those are the texture flags. I just don't know what they all mean. There are just a few of which it is clear what they do (lava/water/ladder for example), the rest is just called trans066, light, fix and stuff...No idea what they all do and i'm not willing to try each and every one of them one at a time. But perhaps I don't really ahve much of a choice here...

Anyway, I'll restart making my map since it wasn't good enough (overlapping walls/floors etc, didn't rename my brushes so I was looking for ages to find the right brush I wanted to edit...pain in the ass :p). Meanwhile I'll try to find a map with a door...

Thx for the tips, I'll probably speak to you sunday then :mrgreen:
Nightstalker wrote: About 4: You should copypaste your wire at the same position and make it as trigger_hurt.
Thanks! I'll look into it when i'm home

-- 06 Feb 2014, 09:07 --

Before I forget to ask...I've also got an error every once in a while when I try to ''complete rebuild'' my map. It gives me an error that says ''randomtexture.wal cannot be saved. Maybe it's a ready-only file or opened in another application''. Did this error occur to others as well or is it just me? =/

[EF]Emirate
Hayo

Post by Hayo »

Emirate wrote:
Hayo wrote: 1. Probably a hole, try making an extra square around your map to make sure its closed.

1. So even when quark can't find any holes, it may still contain a hole? thefuq :p

2. Thought I couldn't edit already built maps, but apparantly I can. I don't have any .bsp mapfiles which contain a door that has to be triggered tho...guess i'll have to look for one. Thanks for the tip.

3. I'm pretty sure it's possible since different materials produce different sounds in sof. As well in the original sofmaps (try irqctf1, running on the sand and runing inside the base or the upper 2 nades) as some custom maps (gic, where walking on the containers makes a different sound than walking on the concrete floor) I just have no f*cking clue how to set different sounds to particular textures/brushes. But apparantly neither have you. Perhaps it's possible to copy that from other maps as well.

4. I was already afraid you'd say that... Those are the texture flags. I just don't know what they all mean. There are just a few of which it is clear what they do (lava/water/ladder for example), the rest is just called trans066, light, fix and stuff...No idea what they all do and i'm not willing to try each and every one of them one at a time. But perhaps I don't really ahve much of a choice here...

Anyway, I'll restart making my map since it wasn't good enough (overlapping walls/floors etc, didn't rename my brushes so I was looking for ages to find the right brush I wanted to edit...pain in the ass :p). Meanwhile I'll try to find a map with a door...

Thx for the tips, I'll probably speak to you sunday then  :mrgreen:
Nightstalker wrote: About 4: You should copypaste your wire at the same position and make it as trigger_hurt.
Thanks! I'll look into it when i'm home

-- 06 Feb 2014, 09:07 --

Before I forget to ask...I've also got an error every once in a while when I try to ''complete rebuild'' my map. It gives me an error that says ''randomtexture.wal cannot be saved. Maybe it's a ready-only file or opened in another application''. Did this error occur to others as well or is it just me? =/

1. Yup, after using it for a while you will notice that Quark isn't always perfect. Sometimes it looks ok in Quark but then stuff is moved a tiny bit in game.

2. True, you cannot edit .bsp files but you can get qrk files from other mappers, for example the qrk file from irq2014 contains a door you could copy paste. PM me your email address and I'll send it.

3. If thats the case and its used in irqctf1 then you might be able to pull that out of the original map. Download link here: http://www.sof1.org/viewtopic.php?f=84& ... sctf1#p909

4. Seems like Nightstalker answered this one.
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

:ohmy: I didn't even know these files were on this forum...thanks

If i'm able to pull brushes from the original maps I can probabl rip the door out of irq as well. I'll check out what the possibilities are.

Maybe even help you with the mapping tutorial keifer, since i'm on the exploring journey anyway.

Thanks for the help fella's

* I made a screenshot (see attachment) of the error I got now while rebuilding jpnctf1 (non-edited). I'm pretty sure my configuration is set up correctly but I still get this strange error...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[EF]Emirate
Hayo

Post by Hayo »

Yeah I don't think your able to rebuild a bsp from the .map files, it's probably missing some stuff. But they can still be useful to copy some stuff out such as structures and doors.
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

Well..i'm getting tired of this quark thingy. Fixed the errors, but now it doesn't make the files visible.

The .qkm file can be opened via quark, but it isn't visible in the folder (via taskbar). When I build the map it says it saves it in the tempquark/maps folder, but there is no file visible in the folder so i'm not able to copy it to my sof user map and test it (since my sof crashes when I use the build & go function).

This shit seems to be made just to annoy me. Soooo, if someone has had this problem as well and found a solution, please share, cause i'm really getting tired of these unexplainable errors...

[EF]Emirate
Hayo

Post by Hayo »

Emirate wrote:Well..i'm getting tired of this quark thingy. Fixed the errors, but now it doesn't make the files visible.

The .qkm file can be opened via quark, but it isn't visible in the folder (via taskbar). When I build the map it says it saves it in the tempquark/maps folder, but there is no file visible in the folder so i'm not able to copy it to my sof user map and test it (since my sof crashes when I use the build & go function).

This shit seems to be made just to annoy me. Soooo, if someone has had this problem as well and found a solution, please share, cause i'm really getting tired of these unexplainable errors...
Not sure if this is your problem but: When a Quark file is minimized you have to click on it twice pretty fast in order for it to popup. Else you will get an emty Quark screen most of the time.
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

yeah I noticed that as well, but that's not really annoying when you get used to it. What my problem is:

- I create a map in Quark with the right configuration
- I Save the map as a quark file
- I press ''complete rebuild'', the console pops up and tell me where the file is saved
- I go to the tmpquark/maps folder but the just built .bsp file is not there (neither are the .map and .lin/.prt files)

Gonna try to reinstall the program, see if it works then...

[EF]Emirate
Keifer Great Britain
Reactions: 16

Post by Keifer »

send me the qrk file, i will take a look.
add my skype - keifer789

if you got teamviewer, i can look there instead.
Machine

Post by Machine »

http://modsonline.com/Tutorials-list-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site supplies very useful knowledge for SOF1 mapping, ranging from beginner to expert. The tutorials are very in depth, I highly recommend using them for farther mapping/experimentation.
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

Just another question :mrgreen:

When I put a fencetexture in, is it automatically set that way that bullets go through?

If no, which setting do I have to switch on/off?

[EF]Emirate
Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

Emirate wrote:Just another question  :mrgreen:

When I put a fencetexture in, is it automatically set that way that bullets go through?

If no, which setting do I have to switch on/off?
Well, make a cube map with your fence and compile it and you'll see it yourself.
Emirate

Post by Emirate »

I'm about to finish my map but there's just one more thing that bothers me...the sky.

I've set iraq/sky to my sky brushes but when I start the map the tokyo/sky is shown instead of the iraq/sky. Thefuq?

I've checked my used textures but the only sky texture is the one from iraq, so it's supposed to show the iraq/sky, bt it simply doesn't. Any sggestions? :mrgreen:

[EF]Emirate
Persian Netherlands

Post by Persian »

- open console
- sky irq