Nothing happens...

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

Nothing happens...

Post by sofsab »

I installed the Community Version today on a Windows 8.1 laptop that's about four years old, but completely redone and updated. When double-click the shortcut or the .exe from the directory, nothing happens. I've rebooted, tried compatibility mode, etc. with no luck. Any ideas?

Here are my specs:

AMD A8-4500M @ 1.9GHz
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7640G
Windows 8.1
Reactions: 8

Re: Nothing happens...

Post by d3nd3 »

could be that the window is offscreen, delete your config.cfg in user folder

you can check if this is the case, right click start bar, go task manager, under process, find sof.exe, if its there, your sof is running

if you dont see sof.exe, then sof didn't start or crashed at startup
Reactions: 8

Post by d3nd3 »

i can help you out on teamviewer if you are interested
Reactions: 14

Post by Evil4N »

d3nd3 wrote:i can help you out on teamviewer if you are interested
Let me know what the issue was so I can fix it in next version.

Post by sofsab »

SoF.exe is running when I go to the task manager, but there's no indication of that when you double-click the .exe or the shortcut. It doesn't flash, doesn't create an item on the task bar, etc. I'm not sure why nothing appears to happen.

I went to delete the config.cfg file from the User folder, and there wasn't one there. I put my backed up copy from years ago in the User folder and tried again, still same result where nothing happens when I double click the shortcut or the .exe. Any other ideas?
Reactions: 14

Post by Evil4N »

Do you have a 2nd monitor/screen ? Put it off. Delete the config.cfg from the user-folder and start SoF.

If it still don't work, then go back to the User folder, SoF should have created a new user.cfg
Find the gl_mode command and change it's current number to "2".
For example:

Code: Select all

"gl_mode 2"
If the command "vid_fullscreen" is there, then put it to "0"

Post by sofsab »

Do not have two monitors. Just using the laptop display. Also, SOF never opens far enough to create a new config.cfg file. There's never been one in the User directory for me to delete. I tried putting an old one in there and removing it, but none of that worked either. When I double click the shortcut or the .exe in the folder, nothing happens other than the program showing up in the Task Manager that I end up closing.
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

@sofsab, we've had very little or no issues at all installing SoF on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10!

Two suggestions:

1- If you can, "upgrade" to Win10 or downgrade to Win7.
2- Accept d3nd3's "teamviewr" help

Either you are taking wrong steps or your Winblows installation is in need of "attention"

BTW ... welcome back

Post by sofsab »

Well, turns out it was a video driver issue. d3nd3 helped out and I'm up and running! Downloaded the current radeon drivers from AMD's website and it's working great. Thanks everyone for the help and I'll see you out there!

SoFSAB