Is it even possible to make SP maps?

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

Is it even possible to make SP maps?

Post by JohnnyN »

Hello, I hope this forum is not dead. But I thank you for the contributions so far.

I'm getting into mapping, and I've always wanted to make something work with SoF 1. My interest is only in mapping a Single Player level however. But it seems like there is something really wacky going on with the way that SoF indexes models and animations etc.
Basically if I were to put in a m_nyc_mpunk entity (a generic nyc enemy) into my map, and compiled it and everything, then upon loading the map into the game, it cannot load its model or animations. It's looking for things in the ghoul directory that aren't there. It also has the message in the console that "WARNING: No level .ghb for ecto, using ECTO.ghb!".
Basically the enemy is sort of there, but it's invisible and otherwise incapable of doing anything, and it will endlessly loop dying noises when you shoot in their direction with the shotgun (the crosshair does turn red when you hover over where they're supposed to be).
If I were to type a spawn command whilst in the level ("gimme m_nyc_mpunk") then it will attempt to spawn that enemy but the same thing happens; it's invisible and can't act, getting errors about the animations etc.
Now if I load any official single player map from the game, I can type in the same command and the Punk will spawn just fine, AI and animations and everything.

It should be noted that for some reason these necessary ghoul files are there in those folders that the game looks in for just a few random NPCs in the game, which I CAN put into my custom maps.
But for the many, many other NPCs it's seemingly indexed their models etc. SOMEWHERE where the original game maps tell them to look. Probably something to do with these "level .ghb files" but changing them around hasn't done anything.
Has anyone ever found a way to make these NPCs work in custom levels?
Reactions: 2

Re: Is it even possible to make SP maps?

Post by Sauron »

JohnnyN wrote: It's looking for things in the ghoul directory that aren't there.
What are the filenames it is looking for?
JohnnyN wrote: It also has the message in the console that "WARNING: No level .ghb for ecto, using ECTO.ghb!".
ecto.ghb seems to be the default used for most maps, seeing there are not much files for this.
Spoiler:
JohnnyN wrote: Basically the enemy is sort of there, but it's invisible and otherwise incapable of doing anything, and it will endlessly loop dying noises when you shoot in their direction with the shotgun (the crosshair does turn red when you hover over where they're supposed to be).
EAR RAPE
YouTube Video
Maybe Acadie has any idea? :unsure:

Post by JohnnyN »

Thanks for your reply!
Sauron wrote: What are the filenames it is looking for?
The filenames that it explicitly lists as being missing are
ghoul\comskin\F_W_12_M
ghoul\comskin\F_W_12_F
ghoul\enemy\ecto\a_nycpunk2.tga
ghoul\enemy\ecto\b_nycpunk2.tga

In the ecto folder it is clear that only a handful of named NPC's have their .tga files in there, and those happen to be the only ones that DO work when I put them in my map. I have no idea where the files could otherwise be, and I've looked through the paks. Besides, either way I don't see why upon loading the original missions, it can find them just fine while I'm using the same exact installation for it.

However it's not just those files that it lists that are missing.
If I simply create those files myself, by just copying from another NPC's files that are there, it won't give me the message in console anymore that they are missing obviously, but the NPC still doesn't show up, and in developer mode there are still constant errors popping up that the NPC can't play its animations. (it should be noted that there are also .gsq files in the Ecto folder which seem to correspond with the handful of NPCs that work).

That death scream sound spam does sound kind of the same as what I've got going on with the NPC's that don't work (when I kill them by shooting in the direction where their invisible clip mesh is)
Reactions: 15

Post by Acadie »

The best to make something working is by the "ainame" in the worldspawn. Entering the SP map name (tsr1, sib3, ger4, etc.) will spawn those that we know in the map itself.

Some are non-existent in the final game. Deleted during their development times.

Post by JohnnyN »

Acadie wrote:The best to make something working is by the "ainame" in the worldspawn. Entering the SP map name (tsr1, sib3, ger4, etc.) will spawn those that we know in the map itself.

Some are non-existent in the final game. Deleted during their development times.
You, my man, are an absolute life saver. I was about to give up on this with the notion that editing only really allowed for multiplayer maps.
This worked perfectly! Just add an "ainame" entry to the worldspawn with a value of "tsr1" and now the NYC characters are working perfectly. I'll be trying it out for other 'tribes' of NPCs too, from other levels.

Strange that I could basically find nothing at all on this elsewhere online, but thankfully there are still people to ask. :)
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

Acadie wrote:The best to make something working is by the "ainame" in the worldspawn. Entering the SP map name (tsr1, sib3, ger4, etc.) will spawn those that we know in the map itself.

I am curious as to what ainame "ecto" would do.

Maybe this can still help http://modsonline.com/www.modsonline.co ... ist-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you probably already seen this though.
Reactions: 15

Post by Acadie »

Sauron wrote:I am curious as to what ainame "ecto" would do.
They work everywhere along with females. Without ainame, their voices will be defaulted with the nyc one.