GameSpy is shutting down. Rest in Peace SoF1?

General Discussion: SoF Community Forum.
Reactions: 0

GameSpy is shutting down. Rest in Peace SoF1?

Post by MorsQuaedam »

GameSpy hosts the master server list for SoF1, SoF2, and many many other old games like Halo.

News just out says it'll close down on the 31st of May this year. SoF1 is a game I played many, many years ago actively (2006-2007 time) and enjoyed it a great deal and it's sad to see it die in this way. Is there any form of plan for keeping a server list going?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/3/5579254 ... atchmaking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reactions: 16

Re: GameSpy is shutting down. Rest in Peace SoF1?

Post by Keifer »

Lol after all these years, i thought the community would completely diminish before this happened.
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

that quite sucks. Does ctrl's serverlist run through gamespy as well?
Reactions: 16

Post by Keifer »

It's all port work tbh.

28910 +

Post by Shaffy »

Q: Does ctrl's serverlist run through gamespy as well?
A: Yes it does.

You could of course make a backup of all the server ips and connect by ip. However the problem is that servers don't automatically report themselves. So no new servers and when a server changes ip's this also doesn't get tracked.

Fixing this would require
* a new master server
* changes on all servers
* changes on all clients

even if the technical aspect is not too difficult, getting everyone to migrate probably is.
Reactions: 14

Post by Evil4N »

When I was still active in the sof-scene I had talked this over with Ctrl a long time ago.
He said it is easy to get the servers listed by his own source to replace gamespy. All you need to do is to update the server-clients of sofplus.

What we need is a new sofplus server-version and propably a client-version aswell. This was discussed for a new community-edition back in those days.

Someone give CTRL a heads up on his e-mail address: sof1 at megalag dot org
Last edited by ShocK on 04 Apr 2014, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: altered email addy
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

So the technical side ain't the problem. But as shaffy said, the migration probably is. Wouldn't be surprised if alot of people don't use sof+. Players who don't know about gamespy's shutdown will come on sof one day to find out there are no servers :mrgreen:

Post by 3klnk4jh »

After some news articles in 2012, I expected GameSpy to shutdown their master.gamespy.com server soon, so I prepared for the shutdown (which took longer than expected).

I've been running a backup master server since december 2012:
  • Clients can query it at address sof1master.megalag.org
  • SoFplus servers send their IP/port announcements to sof1svmaster.megalag.org
SoFplus clients (20130606 or later) can be configured to use a different gamespy master server:
  • use the SoFplus settings menu to switch between master.gamespy.com and sof1master.megalag.org
  • or set the _sp_cl_master_gamespy cvar to the address of a master server
SoFplus servers (20130322 or later) can be configured to use a different gamespy master server. They send their IP/port to both master.gamespy.com and sof1svmaster.megalag.org by default, so the servers will be available in both master lists. The server has two cvars, which don't have to be changed, even after GameSpy shuts down:
  • _sp_sv_master_gamespy: Address for sending GameSpy heartbeat packets; Set to master.gamespy.com by default. It can be changed to sof1svmaster.megalag.org after GameSpy shuts down, but that's not required.
  • _sp_sv_master_sofplus: Custom SoFplus master protocol; Set to sof1svmaster.megalag.org by default. Don't set it to master.gamespy.com, because that server will not be able to handle the received packets.

P.S.
Feel free to test SoFplus and report any issues to me, but don't include SoFplus client 20130606 in a new community edition / portable edition. I'd like to release a new version first that uses the backup master by default, has a better looking menu, has german and french translations, etc.

Post by Fearine »

Kan iemand mij in het nederlands even bijpraten want ik snap er zobiezo al geen zak van thank u. :noob:

Post by Denial »

how sad, LONG LIVE SOF .. do your magic ctrl

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

Fearine wrote:Kan iemand mij in het nederlands even bijpraten want ik snap er zobiezo al geen zak van thank u. :noob:
Hoi
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler!

Code: Select all

_sp_cl_master_gamespy "sof1master.megalag.org"

Post by Hayo »

Thanks for the heads up. Epic job preparing another master server ctrl. Haven't really looked into the solution yet, but seeing the screenshot in the previous post it seems to take a couple of steps. Is there any way we could perform these steps for the players in a new SoF1 Community Edition? That way even players that don't have a clue about codes or replacing files can still get on without hassle.

That said, I think its a good idea to have a notifcation at the top of these forums + portal once there is a new version of the SoF Community edition. This way no one will be starting SoF, thinking their serverlist is broken. This topic probably already fixes the 'problem' but seeing how more awesome topics got lost on here, I think we will need an easier solution for this.
Reactions: 8

Post by ShocK »

Biggest loss will be the PL Gaming server unless it updates from 1.4T17; can't see many people connecting if it's by IP only.

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

@Hayo , yes the solution for clients is to install latest SoFplus client and change a setting (by console, or in the sofplus settings menu (which i can't see?)). But like @Shaffy said, the issue will be getting people to update/install the client.

It can be put into a community edition and be set by default easily, we just have to wait for @3klnk4jh to make a version worth releasing because anything that is put into a community edition is going to plague sof1 for eternity *Cough* Annoying spam on connect, so it needs to be perfect.

I think he needs some english translated to french also...

Is Evilan maintaining the community edition still?
Reactions: 8

Post by ShocK »

No need for a community version, a portable option is available, cuts out the need to install at all (thanks for the tip off from ctrl)

Post by Bender »

GameSpy is dead, long live Ctrl! :rockban:
Reactions: 1

Post by MinatO »

Ctrl...
The wizard of sof, the da vinci of Florence, the master of the universe.

Post by Fearine »

CheaterSkeeter wrote:
Fearine wrote:Kan iemand mij in het nederlands even bijpraten want ik snap er zobiezo al geen zak van thank u. :noob:
Hoi
http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler!

Code: Select all

_sp_cl_master_gamespy "sof1master.megalag.org"
en waar is dat nederlands??? jezus mijn hersenen doen het niet meer aangetast door bepaald drankgebruik maar ok...ik moet he? bedankt anyway

Post by shinok4 »

so lemme seee if i understand all this so i can pass the word on.... whether u use a CD installation or the community version doesnt matter as long as u dl the sof+ client and change it in settings?
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

shinok4, the latest SOF Plus Client and Server already support this which requires the "change it in settings" you mention. The Client, as Shock has shown above and the Server I believe in command line (edit sof-server-start.bat file) I'm thinking?!

But if you download the new version of SOF Plus that Ctrl talked about (when it is released), it will have the "new" master server as default, so, no "change it in settings" for clients with that version:)

leave it set to 'master.gamespy.com' until 2014-05-31
As mentioned here ==> http://sof1.megalag.org/gamespy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: hmmm, the link works but "301 error" ?!?!

Things that make you go ... WTF