[Release] Discovering texture flags used by old maps

Reactions: 8

[Release] Discovering texture flags used by old maps

Post by d3nd3 »

I recently tried to reproduce some animation type texture effects that I knew was possible because of seeing it in single-player and various custom maps from the past.

I was naive on thinking that the m32 texture files are standalone information, separate from the final bsp. It turns out that the m32's information is implanted into the .bsp file. And such process can be over-ridden by a mapper whilst he is texturing brushes on the map.

This means that its very difficult to gather information on what flags were used in the compilation process, which is useful for reproducing certain effects.

So I made a very simple script that parses the bsp file to extract the needed information and prints it for you.

https://github.com/SoFree-scripts/bsp-t ... s/tag/v0.1
Run get_tex_lump.exe within the folder, its a frozen python environment
I haven't tested many alternatives, I'm sure someone knows of an already existing method to do this. A map editor that can open bsp files, probably many, and then you manually display the flags there. I wouldn't mind you sharing that information here for learning purposes.

But a direct way to dump "ALL" flags per instance of a 'specific texturename' seems useful imo.
Reactions: 0

Re: [Release] Discovering texture flags used by old maps

Post by nottmoto »

Quark can open bsp's
Reactions: 8

Re: [Release] Discovering texture flags used by old maps

Post by d3nd3 »

Nice, does it display texture flags correctly?

Would be nice to have one that is accurate, I heard acadie found some inaccuracy with Quark on this topic, I'm too lazy to have tested it.