New Release 27-08-2015: Download Soldier of Fortune CE v6.2

Reactions: 14

Re: New Release 27-08-2015: Download Soldier of Fortune CE v

Post by Evil4N »

As far I have seen on other forums, most spam-bots got non-western IP's like China or vietnam, here it is all European :)
Reactions: 0

Post by HuskyBW »

Evil4N: "Safe to say that the new sofplus won't be coming. I will be releasing the new SoF CE this weekend with the fixed command."

*** Sorry for potential English errors... English isn't my main language ***

I'd love to say thank you, to you and everyone who puts time and effort into custom installer of SoF1 and making this game still playable, compatible, fixed, active and fun to play. I, as a player and fan of this game, I appreciate a lots your works !

But I'll admit im a bit confused right now ^^'

SoFCE and SoFPlus are 2 different things right? Which one should we use and why? I am not against people's works but I don't want to divide the group into 2 camps. =)

I don't even know if SoFPlus is up-to-date or an old abandoned project xD

But depending on what you wanna do/changes to upgrade the game, so far I only have 4 suggestions :

1. Fixing the sound frequency issue between "11KHz - 22KHz - 44KHz - 48KHz"
2. Moddable crosshair (Like scaling "dot" . . . )
3. Better/Bigger letters for Subtitles/Chat (I don't think it's possible, but im asking if it could be)
4. Changing Shotgun's sound effect (It looks too unreal, too deep, like if you'were shooting in a barrel with a silencer on a shotgun xD) and since this gun, hits hard and destroy arms/legs, I do think a "Big Loud Bang" would fit better

*EDIT* I did a quick 30sec. video about my idea for the Shotgun :
The only way to get bigger letters, it's lowering the resolutions but by doing so you lost quality. But I know a community kind of succeed to do that with Hexen II (jsHexen II) by scaling the "UI" without giving any impact on the game itself.

I know it's totally not SoF1, running on a different engine, coding, etc. But since Hexen II was made by ID Software/Raven maybe there's some common stuff between H2 and SoF1.

Don't ask me about how to code, program, etc. Im a total noob for that xD *High respects for coders/programmers*

Also do you know what is the textures format for this game? Is it 128x128, 256x256, 512x512? Could it be possible to extend/increase the limit from 256x256 to 512x512 or from 512x512 to 1024x1024 ?

If so, anyone planning to upgrade/update textures quality? Because I'd love to do or join a team who's actually working on that. Got this idea from by playing jsH2. There's a huge quality differences between Hexen II and jsHexen II, the community completely remake every textures in-game. It way much smoother, modern, etc.

I know it won't be like 2016's games... I personally don't like recent games that much. My goals isn't to make SoF being like a 2016 game. My goal is just to make SoF itself looking better if possible =)

Thank you for reading me ;) Keep going and doing your great work for us !

I can't wait to try and test your new release Evil4N =)
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

Sauron wrote:SoF1 Community client = SoFplus 1.07f.
SoFplus 1.07f = SoF1 Community client.
:wacko:
1. Like you said either SoFplus or keep searching.

2. is already possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD7Sb-UnlMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Nope. (might be handy if there would be players with 4K screen.)

4. sound\weapons\shotgun\fire.wav do it yourself, same like the video you already did.

5. A texture maker/updater would be a new addition to the SoF community I don't believe we have those.
HuskyBW wrote: Also do you know what is the textures format for this game? Is it 128x128, 256x256, 512x512? Could it be possible to extend/increase the limit from 256x256 to 512x512 or from 512x512 to 1024x1024 ?

If so, anyone planning to upgrade/update textures quality? Because I'd love to do or join a team who's actually working on that. Got this idea from by playing jsH2. There's a huge quality differences between Hexen II and jsHexen II, the community completely remake every textures in-game. It way much smoother, modern, etc.
I've tested this with the flags.
128x64 is default and 256x128 was used dunno limit.
Was planning on up-scaling the textures, since i'm not that artsy or any good at Photoshop kind of thing.
The only question will be what will look better, the engine or a algorithm for filling in the empty pixels with up-scaling.
replacing the textures with different ones is no option.If I remember correct 1 or 2 things in H2 where the same textures as in SoF the boxes for example in irqctf1 or irq single player level. maybe we could salvage some updated<- textures from jsh2.
Last edited by Sauron on 16 Nov 2016, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reactions: 4

Post by Nijogeth »

HuskyBW wrote:But I'll admit im a bit confused right now ^^'

SoFCE and SoFPlus are 2 different things right? Which one should we use and why? I am not against people's works but I don't want to divide the group into 2 camps. =)
Oh, that is easy. The Soldier of Fortune Community Edition is basicly the full game including extra's to make it easier for people to have all the options available as they want to download the game (more maps, skins etc.). Especially in multiplayer, a lot of non-standard maps are used and therefor new players will continuesly be downloading. The Community Edition basicly fixes that problems and has people all set up right away.

Sofplus is a mod for Soldier of Fortune. More info is here: http://sof1.megalag.org/sofplus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Evil4n is the person that has made (with some help if I'm correct) and has been updating the Community Edition. Since the Community Edition uses this Sofplus mod, he would need to release a new update if a new version of Sofplus comes out. But as he stated, it does not look like a new update is coming soon, so he released a newer version of the Community Edition anyway.

Post by Evil4N »

In addition what Nijogeth said: Sofplus is a mod, but SoFCE configures it for you. Also additional tech settings like anti-lag commands, "always show player names" and "not walking but running" are enabled. Before SOFCE, players always had to configure their sof and download maps from servers which took lots of time. I tried to reduce it to make the game more accesable to newer players, to make SoF a click&play game. In the past there were occasions that nvidia and ati updates broke SoF from working, SoFCE was created to solve that purpose and later it grew to what is today.
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

Evil4N wrote: "not walking but running" .
This is the best fix tbh. I walked around for about a year holding down the shift key to run. Can't remember how many new players accused others for having a speedhack just because they ran :mrgreen:

Post by sabwones »

Hi you guys,

I know this is my first post and everything, and just posting a 'shit's fucked' message ain't precisely helpful, but I think the latest nVidia update's knackered OpenGL support for the Community Edition. I'd been playing it no problem, massively enjoying it, but one day I booted and got the 'Could not initialize OpenGL rendering environment' error message.

Since I think the latest update brought us up to OpenGL 4.5, I assume the last CE build was for 4.4?

If this is just a problem on my end, then that's fair enough, but if anyone has a fix, I'd be really grateful.

Cheers!
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

Hello

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Second, I have no clue how to solve your problem.

Let's hope someone else pops up who does know :mrgreen:

Post by Evil4N »

sabwones wrote:Hi you guys,

I know this is my first post and everything, and just posting a 'shit's fucked' message ain't precisely helpful, but I think the latest nVidia update's knackered OpenGL support for the Community Edition. I'd been playing it no problem, massively enjoying it, but one day I booted and got the 'Could not initialize OpenGL rendering environment' error message.

Since I think the latest update brought us up to OpenGL 4.5, I assume the last CE build was for 4.4?

If this is just a problem on my end, then that's fair enough, but if anyone has a fix, I'd be really grateful.

Cheers!
I did see a update-notification popping up for my Nvidia videocard. Will install it and see if my SoF gets broken. if not, then I am unable to produce your error and won't be able to help ya.

Best way is to post your dxdiag log here.

Post by Evil4N »

Evil4N wrote:
sabwones wrote:Hi you guys,

Cheers!
I did see a update-notification popping up for my Nvidia videocard. Will install it and see if my SoF gets broken. if not, then I am unable to produce your error and won't be able to help ya.

Best way is to post your dxdiag log here.
Updated my nividia drivers yesterday, and it is still using OpenGL 4.4.

Are you using beta-drivers ? I am not gonna update my SoF CE because of a beta-driver. It is your own risk to use beta, hence why it is beta. But do know that I will monitor Nvidia driver releases from now on for a while.

Post by JewishSnak »

This version of the game is probably the best way to play SoF today, but i was wondering if the singleplayer gameplay mechanics were changed, as me and my buddy noticed that the sound meter doesn't go up at all, so is the stealth system tweaked or something? because i only got this version of the game only to enjoy the singleplayer and i don't want it the gameplay changed.
Reactions: 15

Post by Acadie »

JewishSnak wrote:This version of the game is probably the best way to play SoF today, but i was wondering if the singleplayer gameplay mechanics were changed, as me and my buddy noticed that the sound meter doesn't go up at all, so is the stealth system tweaked or something? because i only got this version of the game only to enjoy the singleplayer and i don't want it the gameplay changed.
For how long you didn't play the game? :lol: It's normal that the meter doesn't go all the way up at "effortless" and "easy". Even "medium" struggle to reach the max.

For that, do a custom setting and adjust the "Type of spawning". :wink:

Post by Rune »

i have one Question about the Violence Lock Password....
I Start game and open the console and "Menu Lock" .. but i dont know the PW ?
Or is the Game complete uncut ?
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

Rune wrote:i have one Question about the Violence Lock Password....
I Start game and open the console and "Menu Lock" .. but i dont know the PW ?
Or is the Game complete uncut ?
If you use SoFplus or SoF CE, yes.
All violence settings are enabled, gore is shown, blood is shown etc.
If there would be a detection (location/country) it would probably only have done so in Germany.
Pretty sure there is no way to get intro this menu on "SoFplus client 20140531".

No business in this menu, No access. :derisive:

Post by Rune »

Okay Thanks!!! :clap: