Old player comeback from 10+ years but...

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
Reactions: 0

Old player comeback from 10+ years but...

Post by diecabezas »

Hello to all, thanks in advance for any help.

I just came back from some long years to SoF as it was the first FPS and first game that I tried online when I was like 9, 10 years old.

The thing is I installed the community version on a Windows 10 but it doesnt seem to do nothing when I execute it (as administrator too), Does anyone have any idea what can I do? I just click the game .exe or the shortcut from desktop but it does nothing.

Thanks in advance
Reactions: 4

Re: Old player comeback from 10+ years but...

Post by Nijogeth »

I myself do not have a clue, but i know there are some people on here that know what to do when it doesnt work. Just hang in.
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

diecabezas wrote:Hello to all, thanks in advance for any help.

I just came back from some long years to SoF as it was the first FPS and first game that I tried online when I was like 9, 10 years old.

The thing is I installed the community version on a Windows 10 but it doesnt seem to do nothing when I execute it (as administrator too), Does anyone have any idea what can I do? I just click the game .exe or the shortcut from desktop but it does nothing.

Thanks in advance
Assuming you are on WIndows 10, you should skip the first "work around" and go to mohaa.exe.

After you attempt to launch SoF and it fails to launch, can you check the Task Manager and see if there is an instance of "sof.exe" in there? If there is, take note of the rundll32 there for later.

If that is the case, you can launch SoF the second time and it should work.
You would want to go back to Desktop bring up the Task Manager and End the process for the SoF.exe that is smaller in size (there would be 2 instances of sof.exe), this should remove that rundll32 as well, if not you can remove it.

For me, on one of my Windows 7 systems, I have to do the "launch twice" with SoF, SoFII and RTCW.
On this Windows 7, I have to launch and wait like a min for it to start loading.
(This is due to one of MS updates few years ago which I will quote MS at the bottom).

If that is not your case,

With game not running,
make a copy of "sof.exe" (save the copy in another Directory/ Folder)
rename sof.exe to mohaa.exe (not the one you copied and backed up, rename the original in SoF folder)
launch mohaa.exe

If that works for you, edit your shortcut.
Welcome back.

Spoiler:
With KB3086255, some users have reported uninstalling that update, fixed their issue but not in my case.
Above from MS, did not work for me either. May be because all my Winblows installations are tweaked with Services/ Programs and features stopped or removed.
The KB3086255 supposedly does not affect Windows 10
Reactions: 2

Post by Sauron »

No dig at current OP.

Seems like every once in a while there is thread like this.
Same question same answer.
Search function still working I hope.

Post by diecabezas »

Thanks in advance! I will try that in the next few days as Im very bussy sadly with my work.

Thanks again

Post by diecabezas »

I had some time today luckily and I could try what you have showed me Nijogeth, thanks again, but sadly I couldnt make it work.

When I try to open as mohaa.exe it goes black, at least it does something but at 2 or 3 seconds I get error:

LoadLibrary("defsnd.dll") failed

As I tried the ''launch twice'' option, Indeed I see 2 sof.exe process, and I finish the task of the one which was ''heavier'' as you told me but nothing happens. I dont completely understand the part in where you say:

''After you attempt to launch SoF and it fails to launch, can you check the Task Manager and see if there is an instance of "sof.exe" in there? If there is, take note of the rundll32 there for later.''

I dont understand the part of the rundll32 stuff, what you mean by take note? How I can delete it? It seems is an archive of my System32 folder.

If you think I can do anything more I would be more than pleased. Thanks in advance again and best whishes

Post by Trekker »

Try this,

Leave sof.exe in sof folder and also a copy of it called mohaa.exe (is that how mohaa is spelled?! lol)

I recall the presence of mohaa.exe (may be even a dummy file) is what triggers the launch.

With both sof.exe and mohaa.exe in sof folder, launch sof.exe.

Post by diecabezas »

Well somehow it worked! Thanks a lot!

What I did was, having the 2 .exe (mohaa and sof) in the main folder as you told me, after a few trys, apparently it worked when I launched first sof, then mohaa, then sof again.

Thanks a lot for your time and explanations :smile: Have a nice day

Post by Trekker »

Highly recommend making sure your hardware/ software, firmware, BIOS and drivers are up to date including windows updates (don't allow windows to change or update your video and audio drivers, I let it do "some" driver updates but always keep my fingers crossed).

When you finish playing, if the "failed" sof.exe/ s are in the task manager, your next launch will be quicker. But I would remove them once in the game or after I am finished.

Doesn't hurt to launch sof.exe and give it up to a minute to see if it launches.
Reactions: 4

Post by Nijogeth »

diecabezas wrote:I had some time today luckily and I could try what you have showed me Nijogeth, thanks again, but sadly I couldnt make it work.
Thank Trekker for that ;)