SoFplus updater [Beta testers needed]

Models + Mapping, Computer & SOF Problems.
CheaterSkeeter Great Britain
Reactions: 0

SoFplus updater [Beta testers needed]

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

*[Open beta test continued]*
Hello,

it would be helpful if people beta tested my installer, and gave feedback, thank you. (does not matter if you already have latest SoFplus installed, it will detect it and not replace).

Gamespy is dieing soon, and we all need to install SoFplus to access the new megalag server list in game. To make SoFplus accessible and EASY for everyone (specifically the people who are not good with computers, and don't know how to extract a zip file) , I've created an all-in-one SoFplus, installer / updater.

What do i do?
You run the exe file (from anywhere), and it asks you to run SoF.exe (if its not started already), it will then detect it in the process list, and get the sof1 directory from it. done

What does it do?
-installs latest sofplus
-adds a line to your autoexec (or creates a new one) to set the megalag master server
-'de-CE-ify' checks pak0 / pak2, if you have CEv5.1 installed, it will patch them to original (which will remove the annoying spam message)
-if you have 'bind m menu_spm' (comes with community edition, its wrong) it will fix and change it to 'bind m menu spm'
-checks if you have widescreen menus installed and deletes them for you (they are not needed with the new SoFplus)
-asks if you want to install AutoUpdate feature

whats the autoupdate feature?
-replaces your SoF.exe with the updater.
-Will check for updates once every 24+ hours to decrease loading times
-Starts SoF.exe, taking you directly to the server list, without seeing the intro (if you don't supply any arguments with a shotcut/batfile)

Can i uninstall the autoupdate feature?
-yes, run the Uninstall bat file

Do shortcuts to SoF.exe still work? +connect ip? MHPSof starter?
-shortcuts work when auto update has been installed
-i have not tested mhp sof starter with it, but i see no reason why it wouldn't work

Security , is it safe?

-open source, can be confirmed by a third party that its safe, just ask
-comes with my public key to verify that any updates downloaded are signed by me
-md5 values of all files are hard coded, and checked after download to make sure they are what they should be, any mismatch will cause an error.
-https coming soon

Download v6 3.8~MB [Disclaimer - works best with portable editions of SoF, some have issues on windows 7]
http://cheaterskeeter.megalag.org/sofpl ... update.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sha1: c5a17ff5013d70ce0f1b67e6286e791da52d576d
md5: 7df3a9fb3677f1941b3d064052c296a3

~Source~
http://cheaterskeeter.megalag.org/sofpl ... ate-v6.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sha1: f5f1e23b602fba87f71a102aabdf7bc5b219597c
md5: e62abbed6111232c7f7554480529f25a

example pics:
Spoiler:
Known bugs:

-"WMIC PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid" - returning empty Commandline causing the 'multiple SoF.exe detected error. One person i know has this issue.. now three. [Not fixed in v5]
-possible issues with auto update running bat files which rename the updater exe, while its still in use [Fixed in v5] [Actual fix in v6]
-missing quit() causing infinite error loop after the 'WMIC' error detected [Fixed in v5]
-autoupdate slow (because i delete files after downloading, instead of keeping them when in autoupdate mode) [Fixed in v5 : it will only check for updates once per day, and it wont delete the 'large' files, so quicker when it does check for updates]
-cmd windows popping up not user friendly [50% Fixed in v6]
Last edited by CheaterSkeeter on 10 May 2014, 02:05, edited 5 times in total.
Emirate
Reactions: 9

Re: SoFplus updater [Beta testers needed]

Post by Emirate »

Nice job

I'll test it, any specific features that need attention?
Glory is temporary, pride is forever.

[EF]Emirate
Trekker Canada
Reactions: 5

Post by Trekker »

First run, system 1:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
Many services forced disabled
Q6600
4GB of RAM
Avast Free AV in "Silent/ Gaming mode"

Have a sof.bat in SOF folder and a shortcut to it on the Desktop that executes sof.exe with added lines to set console and User folder.

After running the Updater, Avast with "Auto Sandbox" enabled by default, ran the updater in Sandbox with a Window awaiting decision.

Another Avast Window popped up saying "did not find any Malware", closed this one.

The Sandbox thingy I just closed as well (may be I should've disabled it or added the updater to ignore list)

After this the Explorer stopped responding, could not minimize or close it (had it open to execute the updater from the Downloads folder)

Could not End Task (both the Explorer and the Updater)

At this point Explorer stopped responding or hanged.
---------------------------------------------------------
Second Run, system 1:

Disabled Avast Shields for 10 min.

Ran the Updater.

Asked to start SOF.

Double clicked on shortcut to sof.bat

Got the error that says, if you have multiple sof.exe open, close them, if you have only one open, contact the bonehead ... I mean the admini ... Press Enter to exit.

Pressed Enter few times but it kept on going with the Red error messages so clicked on the X to exit.
-----------------------------------------------
Third Run, system 1:

Disabled Avast Shields for 10 min.

Ran the Updater.

Asked to start SOF.

Double clicked on sof.exe in C:\Program FIles\Raven\SOF

This time it worked haven't started the game or anything yet.

I have 4 hard drives C. D, E, G. D and E are just movies such. C is system drive and G is the back up with few "sof.exe" in various folders (server back ups and such)

I wonder if I had the "normal" shortcut, it would have ran the first time, didn't test this tho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

Emirate wrote:Nice job

I'll test it, any specific features that need attention?
At this point, 'does it find SoF.exe after you start' is the main issue.
No? - are you also using shortcuts like trekker? did you run SoF as admin and the exe not?

If you can run it without this error showing, install the auto updater and finish the install,
-do you see a //Rip gamespy line in your autoexec (and also a BACKUP-autoexec.cfg )
-does sof now start, skipping the intro taking you direct to the server list

@Trekker

Interesting tests, thank you, i think the real issue is that, if you run SoF as a different user than the exe, it types a command into your cmd:

WMIC PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid

you can not see the 'Commandline' (directory of the running exe/process) of other users.
This is where my exe is failing for some people :( I will have to search a better method

edit- i thought the error only happened when i ran multiple exe's thats why it has this message
Trekker Canada

Post by Trekker »

SoF starts fine but no quick start due to me using a batch file to execute SoF.exe!

Host has changed, I thought fonts were different in the Server list, probably can see better after my second cup.

Resized the pics above, have the originals if need be.

Where is that "Directory for logo" created?

CheaterSkeeter "Damn i did not clarify - if you run sof,exe with no arguments, it will quick start. if you run with +set name "hello world" it will not quickstart, but use your arguments instead"
Trekker Canada

Post by Trekker »

CheaterSkeeter wrote:
@Trekker

Interesting tests, thank you, i think the real issue is that, if you run SoF as a different user than the exe, it types a command into your cmd:

WMIC PROCESS get Caption,Commandline,Processid

you can not see the 'Commandline' (directory of the running exe/process) of other users.
This is where my exe is failing for some people :( I will have to search a better method
Sorry, I did run the Updater as an Admin also with same result but forgot to mention.
For me was just the fact that I use a batch file and not the "original" shortcut I thinks.

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

If auto update install 'breaks', and the Uninstall-spcl-Autoupdate.bat does not fix it:
-Delete SoF.exe
-Delete SoF-spcl-updated.exe
-rename your backed up SoF.exe e.g.: 2014-05-09_21-05-17-backup-SoF.exe to SoF.exe

Sorry for inconvenience :fp:

@Trekker

directory for logo \User\pics\menus\misc\gamespy.m32 (the server list powered by gamespy logo, replaced with the one in my signature)
Fearine Netherlands

Post by Fearine »

:unsure: I adopted this new version, and i played but fuck i had to put all settings again XD but ok i understand it...hope i did ok..but i like the logo CUTE!!! oh and for me just normal like other sof? if i see retarded things i will tell u.
Do i get payed for it? :troll:
Eweroun
ShocK Great Britain
Reactions: 8

Post by ShocK »

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Avast Free AV in Silent/ Gaming mode

Installed fine on SoFPortable (basic SoF Platinum 1.0.7, no frills) Shortcut but no +set etc and not in admin mode.
installed fine, loads of DOS screens and avast scans but all seemed well, found sof.exe and it installed.
I didn't like the slowness of the auto updater when starting so deleted everything, unzipped a new SoFPortable and this time installed without the updater - Everything still works fine, no waiting but does not go straight to the server list menu, just starts normally - new logo and autoexec added so it was installed.

What will updating manually involve? Going to http://cheaterskeeter.megalag.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and downloading a new spcl-update.exe?

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

@Fearine
Hi frients, thanks for testing , glad it works :) i hope you don't miss the 'menu_spm' and spam on connect, i pay in Likes

@Shock
It was slow? but it worked?
You can keep the exe, and run it again, it checks for updates for the client itself, and SoFplus.
For example, you don't have auto updater mode anymore. You can still run the exe again at a later date, it will by default, download the 'latest' version of SoFplus and 'try' to install it to your SOF folder. If a new SoFplus version is 'weird' and the client needs to do something different, then you will be asked to update the updater when you run it :)
-Its just extracting sofplus to your SoF folder, so its not going to stop you from downloading sofplus yourself
-it compares the version of your exe to the version here - if different - download new one and replace the old one automatically http://cheaterskeeter.megalag.org/sofpl ... latest.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-final edit:
Uninstall-spcl-Autoupdate.bat will remove the autoupdate feature for you
ShocK Great Britain

Post by ShocK »

CheaterSkeeter wrote:It was slow? but it worked?
Yes it worked, it wasn't especially slow, just enough to make me not want it; not sure which way to have it for the portable download - set to auto has that "cracked version" feel if you know what I mean with the DOS screens starting (thinking of what a first timer downloader might think)

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

ShocK wrote:
CheaterSkeeter wrote:It was slow? but it worked?
Yes it worked, it wasn't especially slow, just enough to make me not want it; not sure which way to have it for the portable download - set to auto has that "cracked version" feel if you know what I mean with the DOS screens starting (thinking of what a first timer downloader might think)
I know what you mean about the cracked feel, its 'rough and ready', development version. Not the finished product which should be using a pretty gui. First time down loader will think what is this crap? Whats that weird sound? who is 'cheatersketeeter' is this a cheat? weird boxes flashing? huh?
Trekker Canada

Post by Trekker »

CheaterSkeeter wrote:
CheaterSkeeter "Damn i did not clarify - if you run sof,exe with no arguments, it will quick start. if you run with +set name "hello world" it will not quickstart, but use your arguments instead"

@Trekker

directory for logo \User\pics\menus\misc\gamespy.m32 (the server list powered by gamespy logo, replaced with the one in my signature)
Starting SoF.exe from the Directory or a Shortcut with no arguments still fails to quick start for me.

Have to scroll up and re read your replies, may be I missed something

I still see the old logo when I use my batch since it sets the User folder elsewhere.

Copied it manually and it shows fine now also tried it in the Base Directory but it don't look there apparently.
ShocK Great Britain

Post by ShocK »

Add this for the real deal feel retard :mrgreen:

phpBB [audio]

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

@Trekker Another person cant get the quickstart to work, another bug found, thanks, the quickstart is just passing +disconnect +"menu join" to the SoF.exe.
With arguments:
SoF.exe +set autoupdate 1 "+set" "name" "lol"
Without:
SoF.exe +set autoupdate 1 +disconnect +"menu join"
(+set autoupdate 1 - is used for error detection, something unique for the script to see in process list)

It works on my system, but maybe the uneven "quotes" are causing the issue

@Shock lol nice :rockban:
Evil4N Netherlands
Reactions: 14

Post by Evil4N »

I like the auto-update feature. Also you should make the SoFplus updater more user-friendly. Build the sofupdater like it is build to be used by children. You will get more people to understand it. I applied that style into CE's too.
'de-CE-ify' checks pak0 / pak2, if you have CEv5.1 installed, it will patch them to original (which will remove the annoying spam message)
Why is this a priority lol
You think I'm not online. But I'm always here. Scrolling. Judging.

]TÐW[Evil4N!

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

@Evil4N Nothing personal , just a bit of spring cleaning :mrgreen:

Version 5 is up, for those who have the v4 exe, you should see an 'update client yes/no'. you don't have to re-download it. If you run the updater, it would be nice if you told me how it went :)
issues with not finding SoF.exe could still happen, but, portable (non installed) versions seem to work fine, i will look into GUI's now i guess.
Emirate
Reactions: 9

Post by Emirate »

Works fine for me.

Thought I had one issue at the beginning since I couldn't see a server in sof while it was visible at the external serverlist. It was visible later though...
Glory is temporary, pride is forever.

[EF]Emirate
FataL

Post by FataL »

Fakin Genious Cheatskeeter!

Post by CheaterSkeeter »

FataL wrote:Fakin Genious Cheatskeeter!
If copy and pasting, and taking ideas/suggestions from others made me a genius then yes , i am :mrgreen: (ill have credits when it 'works')

v6 released just now, so people with autoupdate, your client will probably ask you to update within the next 24 hours (remember it only checks once a day). new users can just download the exe from here.

small update in v6: A 'real' fix for the 'file not accessible' issue, and, im running silent bat files, which show no cmd window. So now in autoupdate mode, you will still see the first box pop up, but thats it, when you minimize SoF you wont see an empty cmd window loaded there.
instead of seeing 2 cmd windows pop up and 1 remaining, you see 1 pop up and vanish. 50% less cracked feel for Shock!